The Marilyn Kay Maynard ISLMA Scholarship
The Marilyn Kay Maynard ISLMA Scholarship was created and awarded in 2012 to honor the 26 years that Kay Maynard held the position of Executive Secretary in ISLMA. Kay was one of the original Founders of ISLMA and served as the first ISLMA President in 1988-89. In honor of Kay, 3 scholarships per year will be awarded up to $1000.00 for students who wish to gain licensure to work in Illinois schools as a school librarian.
ISLMA Policy: 3016.6 (Updated 11.7.15)
- The Marilyn Kay Maynard ISLMA Scholarship Award is designed to encourage students who wish to gain licensure to work in Illinois as a school librarian.
- The applicant shall be enrolled in a college or university that has been approved for its undergraduate or graduate programs, including online programs, by the American Library Association or the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (previously NCATE), working towards licensure in Illinois School Libraries.
- The applicant shall be an Illinois Resident.
- The applicant shall be a current member of ISLMA. If the applicant is not a current member, ISLMA will supply a one-year student membership to first time applicants who are awarded a scholarship.
- The applicant shall be recommended by a current ISLMA member.
- The applicant shall carry minimum 3.0 G.P.A. on a 4.0 grading scale.
Application and Selection:
- Applicants must complete the application form in its entirety and submit it electronically in Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org
Downloadable Form (PDF)
Downloadable Form (Word)
- Applications must be timestamped between November 15 and February 1 to be considered by the Grants and Awards Committee. Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision by mid-March
- Applications will be considered by timestamp date if necessary.
- Applicants may re-apply annually as long as they are eligible for the award. Applicants may only receive one ISLMA sponsored scholarship per year.
- The application materials submitted must contain the following:
- Completed application form (available for download at islma.org)
- Three letters of recommendation that include:
- One (1) letter from a current ISLMA member,
- Remaining two (2) letters from any of the following: College professor, faculty member, employer, or someone who can vouch for professional potential.
- Current resume
- Proof of acceptance into a school library licensure program
- Concise written statements as indicated on the application form.
Up to three (3) scholarships per year will be awarded in the amount of $1000.00 each. If applicant is not a current member of ISLMA, ISLMA will supply a one-year student membership to a first time applicant awarded a scholarship.
Applicants awarded a Marilyn Kay Maynard ISLMA Scholarship will receive a voucher entitling them to reimbursement of tuition related to course work leading to certification as a School Librarian in Illinois.
- Vouchers are valid for a 12-month period beginning April 1 of the year awarded.
- To be reimbursed, the recipient will be responsible for submitting documentation of expenses and evidence of completion in the form of an official university report card or transcript for the course to the ISLMA registrar within thirty (30) days following course completion.
Questions may be directed to ISLMA, P.O. Box 1326; Galesburg, IL 61402-1326; phone 309.341.1099; fax 309.341.2070; email: ISLMAexsec@gmail.com.
Past Maynard scholarships winners