Children's Choice Award
School Library Media Association
Nominee: Bad Kitty
When Kitty discovers that there is no cat
food in the house, she decides to be very, very bad.
Author/Illustrator: Nick Bruel
- Discussion questions: What do cats like to eat? What does
a cat do when it is hungry? Look for connections between the good kitty
and bad kitty alphabets.
- Language arts: Use the the book to review vowel and
sounds. Vowels are in the center of each page. Brainstorm good words to
describe cats and not so good words.
- Writing: Make a Bad Dog alphabet book with foods and
behaviors. Each student can take one letter of the alphabet.
- Math: Graph favorite breed of cats.
- Science: Learn about breeds of cats. Invite a vet
to speak about pet cats.
- Social Studies: Discuss the importance of cats to
Egyptians and mummified cats. Compare house cats to their wild
relatives using a Venn diagram.
- Drama: Write what the cat will say to the dog. (Hint:
Look at the back cover.)
- Cooking/Food: Have a pet food drive and donate the food
to the animal shelter.
- Art: Illustrate your Bad Dog book.
- Music: Sing The Cat
Is Melvin Bubble? by Nick
Riddles by Katy Hall
Four Hungry Kittens by
Emily Arnold McCully
Chato's Kitchen by
Cat in the Hat and Cat in the Hat Comes Back by Dr.
How to Talk to Your Cat
by Jean George
Cats by Seymour Simon
Pizza Kittens by
Mr. Putter and Tabby
series by Cynthia Rylant
2008 Nominee Resources